Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday Taylor


Taylor turned 10 today. A few times this past month, he has asked what we could do to celebrate. His ideas for a party just wouldn't work: Pool party (we have no pool and he's too big for the little slip-n-slide), football at the park (not fun w/ 110 degree weather), laser tag (too expensive).
A few months ago he and Mason both invited a bunch of friends over for a party, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that experience. The bigger boys ganged up on the smaller ones, a few boys got mad, and one went home crying. Complete disaster. So since then, I haven't wanted to do it again.
We decided to lay low this time around. And I sensed that Taylor was a little disappointed. Last night as John was walking out the door to the store, I asked him to pick up a few presents for Taylor. (We had already gotten him a few gifts, but I knew Taylor was in the room and I wanted him to know we were still excited for his birthday). John's response surprised me. He's such a tease. With the straightest face, (and with Taylor right there listening), he said "Gifts? What do you mean? Taylor doesn't need presents; he'll be 10 years old tomorrow. Presents are for little kids. He's getting a little old for presents. Maybe I can pick him up a small pack of gum, if you think he needs it." With that, he walked out the door. Taylor turned back to his book, and his eyes slowly turned red and he blinked really hard to get rid of the tears. Then he whispered under his breath, "I'd really like just a few presents, even if it's just clothes." That comment made me crack up so hard, and I told him Dad was just teasing. A huge smile of relief came across his face. I remember those same feelings at that age.
So this morning, we gave Taylor some presents. He got a few of his favorite treats, some needed clothes, a reading lamp, a new bike, and a BB gun. What more could a 10 year old want? I think he was pretty excited about them all, even for the needed package of underwear.
I took ice cream sandwiches to his classroom during their lunch. He was a little embarrassed when I asked his whole class so sing to him. All the kids sang at the top of their lungs, and by the end of the song, all the kids in the whole cafeteria were singing to him (probably around 150 students). His face was pretty red, but I think he liked it.
Tonight he invited over three friends. They made their own pizzas for dinner, played football, and ate ice cream cake. It was short and sweet, and everyone seemed to have a good time. After friends left and we cleaned up a bit, Taylor found me in the kitchen and gave me a hug and said thanks for making his day a good one. It does my heart good to know he had a great birthday.
And for the record, our new 10 year old is 4 feet, 9 1/2 inches tall. He weighs 87 lbs. Big boy! I remember weighing that much--weird!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Taylor! I thought about you a lot yesterday. I can't believe that you are already 10 years old. You're growing up so fast and you are such a good boy! Thanks for being so much fun. We love you!

    ReplyDelete