Saturday, May 10, 2014

16th Family Birthday Party

John and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this past week.  Hard to believe its been so long, but at the same time I can't imagine my life without him by my side.  Living life with my best friend is pretty awesome.  He and I took off for a quick getaway a few weeks ago and had a great, relaxing time together.

To keep with tradition, we also had a family birthday party this past weekend, complete with presents to ourselves, singing happy birthday to ourselves, sharing what we loved about our family, birthday cake, and fun activities together.  We started last night by opening presents after dinner. All of us got a LeSueur tee shirt.

The front says 16 years- we're driving now.


And the back says "Driving on the right road. . . Together"


During dinner, we talked about what it means to stay on the "right" road, and also what it means to progress together as a family.  

Then we took everyone ice skating, except for me, of course.  Being 2 weeks away from delivery, John wasn't about to let me get on the ice.  I didn't think it was a big deal and put on Mason's ice skates while he was taking a break.  John saw me, shook his head "no", and shook his finger at me.  That was the end of my attempt to ice skate.

All the kids had fun, especially Kate.  It was her first time.  And she pretty much hung on Johns leg for her dear life.  But she never quit, got frustrated, cried, etc.  just kept trying and trying.







After ice skating, we went back home for the traditional mess of a dessert-chocolate lava cakes and ice cream on the special plate with 8 spoons.  I had the first bite, then let everyone else dig in.  It kind of grossed me out to share with that many mouths. 



Not surprisingly, Taylor and Buster finished it off and licked the plate clean.



This morning after chores were done, we visited Costco for lunch and to purchase a nice camera. . . finally, after years of wanting one.  It's my Mother's Day gift from John and the kids.  Then we took the kids to test drive a bunch of 15-passenger vans.  Once this baby comes, we'll be too large for our car and need to upgrade to something bigger.  The kids are super excited to have a little more room in the family car.  And John and I are super excited to drive in a "peace-mobile" without kids arguing about who is in whose space, who stinks, who is crossing the line of his seat, who doesn't have enough leg room, etc. .. Really, it's been quite ridiculous. 

Then we took the kids swimming, then John took them Mother's Day shopping, and now everyone is snuggling in the family room watching a movie together.  It's been a fun weekend, all focused on being together, and having fun with  each other, building memories, strengthening relationships with each other.  That's what family is all about!  And I'm pretty lucky to have the one I do.

Happy 16 years to me and my love, and happy 16 years to our family of almost 7 kids.  I couldn't ask for anything better!









1 comment:

  1. I totally know how it goes with kids arguing in the van. That is everyday for my kids. I come from a family of 9 and my parents had a 12 seater van. It was pretty fun because we always had room for our friends to go places with us.

    ReplyDelete