Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Six Children

I've had 7 months to get used to the idea of having six children. Wherever I go, I get comments. Some people think John and I are crazy, others share their admiration in our efforts of raising a large family, then there's those who think we're doing the world a disservice. At Disneyland last Fall, we got all kinds of comments and looks. (Of course, all wearing bright red shirts made us stand out a little). Some people we passed would visibly point and count the numbers.

I love John's comment to someone once. With a smile, he said "we're only half way to our dozen". (Yea right!) But it let that person know that we love being parents and are happy with our family. Regardless of what people think, we couldn't be happier.

Even if it means that we have to drive a big 12-passenger van to fit everyone. (No, we don't have a van right now, but my kids think it would be awesome to get a van and spread out a little). Even if it means that three boys "get" to share a bedroom. Even if it means that we're not saving nearly as much as we could otherwise. Even if it means that most of the time, we don't get to do "our own thing" because family responsibilities take precedence.

We couldn't be happier. Really!

4 comments:

  1. Love the post! I went to Sam's Club to buy my 7 gallons of milk tonight, and a middle-aged couple asked if I was feeding a small army. I told them I had five kids and that we easily go through 6 gallons of milk a week. They said, "God bless you--because you need it" or something to that effect. What I thought was so funny was that I got that comment in SAM'S CLUB where everybody buys bulk of everything! Whatever :). I'm glad you're embracing your large family and loving it. We love our five kids, too, and get lots of funny looks and comments as well. Mostly people ask if our boys are triplets because they are so close in size. Such a fun life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean!!! We get "are they all your's?" all the time. And, they would count us at Disneyland, too - with 5! We have so much fun, though - wouldn't trade it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm simply in awe of your family! Not because of it's size, but rather, for the amount of love that's found in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great. I've always wanted a large family. you and John are doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete